St. Innocent Orthodox Church History

In brief, the one, undivided Church is said to have begun on the day of Pentecost, 50 days after the Resurrection of Christ. Already by the 4th century the term “Orthodox Christian” was used to designate those Christians who remained faithful to the totality of the teaching of Jesus Christ and the apostles, as opposed to those who were known as “heretics” who promoted false doctrines and beliefs. [The term “orthodox” means “correct believing” or “correct, true glory.”]

Due to a variety of complex circumstances, the Western church, known today as the “Roman Catholic Church,” split from the Eastern Orthodox Patriarchates of Constantinople, Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Antioch in the 11th century. Roman Catholics, however, see it from the opposite perspective, namely that the Orthodox Church broke communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

We Orthodox believe that we are the continuation of the ancient Orthodox Christian Church, that we trace our history back to Christ and the apostles, and that the Church was “formally” established on the day of Pentecost. The Roman Catholic Church placed itself outside of this fellowship when it broke off communion with us in the 11th century.

Text Box:

Orthodox Church History

St. Innocent Orthodox Church was founded in 1952., a dream that envisioned an English speaking Orthodox Church in Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley. We celebrating the first Liturgy service at St. Marks Episcopal Church in Van Nuys. Today 58 years later, we continue to celebrate this dream. As the church continued to grow a Lutheran Church in Van Nuys was purchased and eventually in 1955 the parish began building it’s first permanent church on Newcastle Ave. In 1969 a fire destroyed the new church building. Then on May 17, 1970 ground was broken and the cornerstone for the current Church Home was laid on April 16, 1972. The new church was consecrated on October 8, 1972 with Metropolitan Irene, Metropolitan Vladimir, and Arch-Bishop Dmitri in attendance.